The City of Fort Pierce Adopt-a-Road program provides opportunities for individuals, businesses, clubs, and church organizations to adopt a one-half-mile segment or more of a city-maintained roadway. Participants can help keep our city clean by simply agreeing to pick up litter and trash a minimum of four times a year. Not only is this a great opportunity for a little exercise but your organization will also receive recognition in the form of a sign located on the roadway you choose to maintain.
Please help show your pride in the City of Fort Pierce and consider volunteering to help keep the roadsides litter free.
- To Reduce litter along all City of Fort Pierce roadways
- To keep the surrounding environment clean, including swales, canals, and stormwater inlets.
- To reduce litter by increasing public awareness
How to adopt a road?
- Select a City road for adoption.
- Fill out an application.
- Once the application is approved, review the requirements and sign an Adopt-a-Road agreement.
What does the City of Fort Pierce provide?
- A sign crediting the group or individual volunteering on the roadway segment that is being maintained.
- Trash bags, pick sticks, and safety vests.
- Litter bag removal after the organization places them near the edge of the roadway. Please call Kaitlyn Ballard, Engagement and Outreach Coordinator at 772.467.3836 when the bags are ready for removal.
Safety Policies and Tips:
- Always wear furnished safety vests.
- Park vehicles well off the right shoulder of the roadway.
- Workers need to stay out of the traffic lanes and medians. Pick up trash in the right-of-way only.
- Leave small children and pets at home. Volunteers between the age of twelve and eighteen should be supervised. One adult supervisor for every five youths is required.
- Keep filled trash bags off of the roadway and in the shoulder area.
- Work in daylight hours only.
- Bring water for hot weather days.
Adopt-a-Park Sign Policy
A sign will be posted near the entrance to the adopted park, or at another designated location within the park, as determined by the Public Works Department. The Adopt-a-Park sign may share a signpost with other signs in the park. Signs will state the name of the individual/group and will not be allowed to make political or other statements that may be considered controversial. The Public Works Department shall be responsible for the final approval of sign designs. Clean-up Guidelines the Public Works Department will coordinate the distribution of supplies with the individual/group representative.
Notification of a planned clean-up should be made to the Public Works Department at least 48 hours prior to the clean-up. Immediately following the clean-up, the individual/group representative will email with the following information: individual/group name, where the clean-up occurred, the total number of people participating, the total number of hours worked, and any special trash pickup requirements.
The individual/group will place filled trash bags in a site dumpster, if available, or as directed by the Public Works Department. Hazardous situations or conditions shall be immediately reported to Public Works personnel on duty or to the City of Fort Pierce Police Department by calling 911.
For more information, please call the Public Works Department at 773.467.3794.