- Boards & Committees
- Civil Service Appeals Board
Civil Service Appeals Board
- Meeting dates, times and locations are scheduled as needed.
Agendas, Minutes and Meeting Officials
Agendas are available prior to the meetings and minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes - View Meeting Officials and Terms
The purpose of the Civil Service Appeals Board is to:
- Adopt, amend and enforce a code of rules for the procedure and grounds for suspension, demotion and dismissal of employees and for filing of appeals from transfers, and they may amend the rules from time to time
- Make any investigation which it may deem desirable concerning personnel administration in the classified service and to that end, any member of the board shall have the power to administer oaths
- Report to the City Commission and to expose publicly any abuses or improper practices which it may find in the classified service of the City.
- Provide rules for the procedures for the filing of appeals with the Civil Service Appeals Board.
- Sit as a body to hear appeals of any persons in the classified service who is dismissed, demoted, suspended or transferred
Membership & Structure
The Civil Service Appeals Board consists of 11 members, 5 regular and 6 alternate members. Of those members, 4 are appointed by the City Commission, 2 shall be appointed by the city commission, and 2 members are elected by the members of the civil service. The 5th member is named by the other 4 members. The 2 members named by the city commission and the 2 members of the board named by the employees serve for a term of 2 years. The 5th member of the board named by the other members of the civil service holds office for a period of 1 year.
The city commission will elect 2 alternate members of the civil service appeals board and the members of civil service will elect 2 alternate members of the civil service appeals board. The 5 members of the board will elect 2 alternate members of the civil service appeals board to serve in the event of disqualification or absence of the 5 members of the board.
To be a member of the Civil Service Appeals Board, a person must:
- Be a resident of St. Lucie County
- Not hold or be a candidate for public office
- Not be an employee of the city
- Not be a member of any local, state, or national political party committee
Contact the Human Resources Department for more information by calling 772-467-3758.